Thursday, June 7, 2007

I just checked the Pennsylvania Uni's tagging site PennTags at http://tags.library.upenn.edu/ which rates a mention in the ACRL blog and even though I think the idea of social tagging for work groups sounds like a great idea I'm not overly impressed with the content of what they have. In theory it sounds great, but like everything it depends on the quality of the information. I don't want yet another source of information to wade through unless it is really good. Yes, tagging does give one a chance to be selective in who one follows the trail of, and I can see that it would be worth our while trying something like this in various groups in our library at ECU. Could be handy for various projects teams.

I listened to the sirsi website talk on social tagging which I thought was a useful introduction. Maybe out of this will come the usefulness of our library consistent tags. This speaker used the example of someone wanting to follow leads on films and how they would need to follow the tags for movies, film, cinema.

No comments: